We all have them. Those people we care about who think we’re nuttier than a bag of pecans for our prepping endeavors.
Although they’re doubting Thomases, we still love them and want them to be safe in an emergency. I’ve put together a list of gifts with a survival twist that you can get for the folks you love. One day, they may look at that gift, think of you, and be extremely grateful. (Here’s an article about some gentle persuasion to get them on board.)
Below, you’ll find some kits that you can put together for a loved one, as well as some smaller, stocking-stuffer type presents.
An Emergency Food Kit
GAS ONE GS-3000 Portab... Best Price: $18.00 Buy New $21.43 (as of 11:34 EST - Details) In the event of a power outage, people who are unprepared can quickly run out of things to eat or a way to cook them. Put together a kit that provides food sealed up for the long term, an emergency cooking method, and fuel for the cooking method. I recommend:
- A grab-and-go bucket (nonGMO and much healthier than the usual buckets.)
- A butane burner (This can be used indoors if you exercise caution)
- Butane fuel canisters
A Vehicle Emergency Kit
12 Butane Fuel GasOne ... Best Price: null Buy New $29.49 (as of 11:34 EST - Details) This kit won’t be as thorough as the prepper version, but if you put it in a handy bucket, they’ll probably stash it in their vehicle, and it will be there when they need it.
- Compact Mylar Sleeping Bag
- Extra socks
- Gloves and a hat
- Granola bars (Clif bars have a lot of caloric bang for the buck)
- Travel water filter (We use the Sawyer Mini)
- Waterproof matches
- Emergency signal (I like these 12-hour ultra-bright glow sticks)
- Emergency Survival Manual (This one belongs in every bug-out bag, purse, car, and home.)
A Home Security Kit
- Door Jammer: This gadget will add some extra security to your doors. You can use this on an inside solid core door to fortify a bedroom or safe room, and you ca take it with you for hotel rooms, too.
- Window Alarms: Secure up to 10 windows with these wireless magnetic sensors. Tummah Emergency Survi... Best Price: null Buy New $12.99 (as of 04:45 EST - Details)
- Security Camera: These cameras connect to wifi, so they’re perfect for having eyes on your driveway or gate. However, keep in mind that even a fake camera with a blinking light can serve as a deterrent.
- Pepper Gel: This stuff has an 18-foot range, and unlike an aerosol pepper spray, won’t be as likely to affect everyone in the room. Warning: If you are a family member suffers from asthma, pepper products and Mace can be debilitating to you as well as the intruder.
- Solar Motion Lights: These guys are wireless, easy to install, and powered by the sun.
Power Outage Kit
Sawyer Products SP102 ... Best Price: null Buy New $17.99 (as of 06:45 EST - Details) You may need to vary this based on the climate of the recipient.
- Mr. Buddy Heater: This is one of the few off-grid heaters that can safely be used indoors. Be sure to add propane to the gift, so they have fuel to run it.
- Carbon Monoxide Detector: Make sure the one you get has battery back-up. These are especially important during a power outage when the person might be using off-grid heating methods.
- Candles: Add some long-burning candles.
- Rechargeable Flashlights: This two-pack stays plugged in until you need them.
- Battery-Operated Fans: These will make life much more pleasant if the power outage takes place in hot weather.
- The SAS Survival Manual: This handy little classic has the necessary information you need to survive any situation in any climate. My girls both carry one, as do I. It’s tiny and fits easily in a purse.
- Self-Defense Key Chains: This little gadget goes on a key chain. Loop your fingers through the eye holes and the sharp “ears” can be used for self-defense. Be careful, when purchasing these, not to get something that is a concealed blade. Those are illegal in many states and can get a person into big trouble.
- Mini Water Filter: It even comes in pink.
- Tornado Ultra System: This is a wicked little gadget that not only sprays paper spray in an assailant’s face, but it also deafens them with a 125-decibel alarm and blinds them with a strobe light. Coghlanu2019s 940BP Wa... Buy New $2.49 (as of 09:05 EST - Details)
- Super-bright Mini Flashlight: This one is a long-lasting LED light, and it’s tiny enough to go in a purse or glove box easily.
- Pepper Gel: This stuff has an 18-foot range, and unlike an aerosol pepper spray, won’t be as likely to affect everyone in the room. Warning: If you are a family member suffers from asthma, pepper products and Mace can be debilitating to you as well as the intruder. (This is also included in one of the kits above.)
What If They Want to Prep But They’re Not Sure How to Get Started?
Sometimes it isn’t that they don’t want to prep – they just don’t know how to get started. Beginners always have a lot of questions about prepping. If you want to point them in the right direction, I have a few suggestions.
For someone who is motivated to prep, an 8-Week Prepping Intensive course will send them down the right path. Our courses focus on prepping on a budget, getting ready for the threats that are most likely in your own geographic area, and creating a plan unique to your family. These classes aren’t about far-fetched scenarios, but everyday emergencies, like power outages, evacuations, or being prepared to protect yourself from a criminal.
Reprinted with permission from The Organic Prepper.
Clif Bar 12 Bar Variet... Best Price: null Buy New $20.94 (as of 09:30 EST - Details)
Cyalume SnapLight Red ... Best Price: null Buy New $13.80 ($1.38 / Snaplights) (as of 03:15 EST - Details)
Mr. Heater F232000 MH9... Best Price: $119.99 Buy New $68.00 (as of 03:00 EST - Details)
LE CREE LED Flashlight... Best Price: null Buy New $7.99 ($6.24 / 100 g) (as of 05:55 EST - Details)