Many believe burglaries are crimes that occur out of desperation, but this isn’t always the case. In fact, the motivation that drives many criminals is simply opportunity. Such is the case for why home break-ins occur around Christmas time while homeowners are away at work. All a criminal needs to do is make a quick entry, grab all the gifts perfectly surrounded by a Christmas tree and they are out the door faster than you can blink. Here are some factsto gain a better perspective on what you are facing:
- According to the U.S. Department of Justice, every 15 seconds a home in America is burglarized and the homeowner typically suffers a loss of nearly $2,000 in stolen goods or property damage.
- Most burglaries take place between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- The majority of break-ins are committed by burglars who live nearby.
- Burglars tend to avoid homes with security systems.
- Most criminals can burglarize a home in less than ten minutes.
- Almost 30% of burglars enter a home through an unlocked door or window.
- An astonishing 34% of burglars enter through the front door. Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Vid... Check Amazon for Pricing.
- Burglars usually go to the master bedroom first.
- The average property dollar loss per burglary is a staggering $2,251.
- Someone is home during nearly three out of every ten burglaries.
- Only 13.6% of burglaries in 2014 resulted in arrests.
Given these startling statistics, break-ins can be avoided altogether by using common sense and mindfulness. Here are some simple security measures to take to ensure your home stays out of the watchful eye of an intruder.
1. Keep security layers in mind
Having security layers in place is the best possible preventative measures to deter possible criminals from marking your home as an easy target. These security layers will advertise to intruders that they should avoid your home altogether. Designing a home defense system that includes multiple security layers is a proactive way to protect your home, family, and belongings. Fortunately, there are plenty of tools at your disposal for keeping your property safe. Most of them cost significantly less than an alarm system, and all together can provide several layers of security to your home. Below are seven awesome tools for keeping your place safe during the holiday season. These affordable items are a great start to beefing up your home security.
- Door club
- Wireless LED spotlight
- Fake TV burglar deterrent
- Digital lamp timers Kwikset 92640-001 Cont... Best Price: $58.27 (as of 02:40 EDT - Details)
- Sentry security bolt safe
- Hidden safes
- Security system
- Curtains and/or blinds on windows
- Use a wooden dowel on sliding doors and windows
2. Keep security supplies near vulnerable areas
Those that are preparedness-minded are always vigilant about ensuring the safety of their family members. In that same vein, children should know the basics of the family emergency plan and safety rules like not opening the door to strangers.
As well, having some basic safety/security supplies near the most vulnerable areas of the home (key entry points, garages, etc.) would be advantageous if you find yourself face to face with someone attempting to break-in. For examples, near the entry points in my home, we have a decorative basket that blends into the decor but has items such as flashlights, an emergency whistle, multi-tools and/or a knife. As well, if you do not have children in the home, you can also strategically place a handgun, clips or a non-lethal weapon if you choose. You can strategically place these items near vulnerable spots of the home.
- The front door Ideal Security SK110W ... Best Price: $16.04 Buy New $18.00 (as of 08:45 EDT - Details)
- The backdoor
- The bedroom
- Living room
Another vulnerable part of the home is windows. Burglars love to “window shop”. If you keep your curtains or blinds open, this will give them an opportunity to take a peek into the home. Moreover, if you have picturesque bistro tables and chairs, they can easily be used against you. Criminals will throw them against windows for fast entry. Installing shatter-proof window film on windows will help prevent this.
While we love a beautifully landscaped yard with shrubs and bushes cut low, this can also make for easy entry into the home. You can add bushes and landscaping to help deter criminals from marking your home. Plants with thorns such as roses, bougainvillea or blackberry bushes are great choices for securing the outer perimeter of the home. At the very least, secure the windows from becoming entry points with window alarms to alert you or your neighbors to a break in.
Speaking of yard and landscaping, how many of you have a ladder that you forgot to bring in? Criminals will look around for tools they can use to gain entry. The second story of a home is typically more lax when it comes to security. If you are guilty of this one, lock up your ladder in your garage.
Woods 50007WD Indoor 2... Best Price: $9.99 Buy New $11.99 (as of 08:30 EDT - Details)
URPOWER Solar Lights W... Best Price: $23.71 Buy New $25.49 (as of 08:40 EDT - Details)
LITOM Original Solar L... Buy New $17.99 (as of 09:35 EDT - Details)
Heavy-Duty Exterior Mo... Best Price: $6.00 Buy New $4.29 (as of 05:40 EDT - Details)