With nicer weather upon us, heading out for a picnic, enjoying a BBQ with family and making the most of long, sunny days are probably on your to-do list. But what if your stomach disrupts your summer plans and instead keeps you cooped up inside?
This will not only ruin your summer but leave you feeling sick and miserable.
Depending on where you live, summer may be short and so taking advantage of every nice day is the plan before it fades away to fall again. But when you’re stricken with gas, bloating, constipation or diarrhea you can say buh-bye summer and hello bathroom!
Thermalon Microwave Ac... Best Price: $15.51 Buy New $16.99 (as of 10:25 EST - Details) In China, for example, they have what they call “summer sickness” which is described as having symptoms of loss of appetite, weakness, headaches and chest pains. They say it can strike the most vulnerable people, seniors and children. It occurs when the weather is hot and damp, and can lead to irregular eating habits which can affect the stomach.
If you want to make the most of the higher temperatures and less of the porcelain throne, we suggest you try some of these natural home remedies for an upset stomach.
10 time-tested home remedies for an upset stomach
1. Apple cider vinegar: Although potent in taste, apple cider vinegar is a great natural remedy for an upset stomach. Apple cider vinegar may help with the absorption of starch which can keep the stomach feeling better. Also, because sometimes stomach problems can occur due to a lack of acid, adding some in may be beneficial.
For best results have a tablespoon of the liquid, but feel free to mix it with some water if the taste is too strong.
2. White rice: Bland, white rice may not seem appetizing, but it’s part of the foods for an upset stomach. Rice can help absorb fluid, which may be lost if you’re suffering from diarrhea. It can also make your stomach feel better Majestic Pure Peppermi... Buy New $17.98 (as of 06:20 EST - Details) because the starch coats your stomach.
3. Ginger: Ginger has been used for centuries to calm feelings of nausea and vomiting. As a natural remedy for an upset stomach, ginger works as an anti-inflammatory and eases the stomach.
Drinking an all-natural ginger ale, or steeping ginger as a tea, you can reap the benefits of ginger as a home remedy for an upset stomach.
4. Bananas: Whether you have constipation, diarrhea or just have issues with your stomach, reach for this yellow fruit as a food for an upset stomach. Bananas can help firm up stool or make you go, depending on the issue you’re experiencing. Bananas can also make you feel full if you aren’t eating much of anything else and provide you with potassium which can also make you feel stronger.
5. Water: We should all be drinking water on a regular basis because our bodies require it to function. But if your stomach isn’t feeling the best, water is even more essential. If you have feelings of bloating, water can help move things along and relieve some of that bloat. Natural Ginger Tummydr... Buy New $10.99 (as of 07:20 EST - Details)
Additionally, if you are vomiting or have diarrhea, you need to replenish the lost fluids. Lastly, water will help remove waste and bacteria which may be the reason your stomach is having issues in the first place. Basically, always drink water for optimal health, especially as a natural remedy for an upset stomach.
6. Toast: When your stomach is feeling angry, you need to give up the notion that carbs are the enemy. As a food for an upset stomach, toast is easily digested and won’t put added strain on your stomach. Although eating charred food generally isn’t advised, it’s OK if the toast looks a tad blackened. Charred toast has been noted to help with nausea as well.
7. Aloe juice: Commonly used in the treatment of burns, aloe juice is a home remedy for an upset stomach. Aloe juice can coat the stomach and reduce heartburn and stomach aches.
Too much aloe may have laxative effects, so if you’re having diarrhea it’s not recommended.
FIJI Natural Artesian ... Buy New $26.01 (as of 12:05 EST - Details) 8. Mint: Mint is a natural remedy for an upset stomach. Not only can it relieve bloating, but it can reduce cramping as well. Peppermint is also helpful in aiding digestive issues –and both can be consumed in a soothing tea form for optimal results.
9. Heating pad: Applying a heating pad on your stomach is a home remedy for an upset stomach. It can ease cramps and pains, and help things move along the intestines. Heat is also helpful in soothing and relaxing the muscles of the stomach which can bring down the pain.
Apply a heating pad sparingly though, you don’t want to cause any burns.
10. Applesauce: Of course, when choosing an apple sauce for treating an upset stomach you want to go as natural as possible. Added sugars and ingredients will only make your stomach issues worse. But when you do find a good applesauce, it’s an effective food for an upset stomach.
Because whole apples may be harder to digest, going for an applesauce will not strain your already sickened stomach. Also, applesauce may aid in reducing diarrhea. Amazon.com Gift Card i... Check Amazon for Pricing.
When do you need to see a doctor?
If your stomach problems appear infrequently, then trying these 10 home remedies for an upset stomach will get you back to feeling good and heading out to enjoy the nicer weather. But when should you see a doctor about your stomach problems?
Well, for example, if you notice when you eat certain foods your stomach problems return, a doctor can help determine if you have a food intolerance or allergy. Also, if you can’t keep food down, that is another indication to seek medical advice. If your stomach issues are ongoing and lasting weeks, and you’re not finding relief through natural means, a doctor can run some tests to see what’s going on.
You know your body best, so if your stomach issues continue, become more frequent or simply appear out of the ordinary, get yourself checked out.
Enjoy summer without stomach problems
Summer can fly by, so making the most of it is important. You don’t need to let your stomach determine your life. In fact, by using these home remedies for an upset stomach, you can take back control of your stomach and live the life you want.
Reprinted with permission from Bel Marra Health.