Many people instantly reach out to allopathic medicines (aspirin, paracetamol, etc.) as soon as they get a headache. It is not that they are unaware of the side-effects; they are, but situations such as an important meeting ahead, a toddler nagging them, etc., increase the urgency to be rid of the headache! Understandable! Nobody likes headaches. But, next time, please try one of these proven folk remedies before you pop a pill.
1. Boil water. Add a spoonful of coriander seeds. Let it boil for a while till you are able to smell the coriander strongly. Switch off the stove and add half a spoon of tea leaves to the concoction. Close the vessel, and let it stand for a few minutes. Filter and drink it as it is without adding any sweeteners. Sleep or sit down and relax for just ten minutes. If you are lucky, your headache will be gone by this time. Jiva USDA Organic Cori... Buy New $6.99 (as of 02:20 EST - Details)
2. Lemon. What can’t it do?Lemon is very effective and powerful ingredient to treat headache pain. When you drink warm water mixed with some lemon juice, it reduces the intensity of a headache. This particular home remedy is beneficial when headache is caused due to gas in the stomach. Another option is apply lemon crust paste on the forehead to get immediate relief from the pain. At the same time you may also drink a steaming cup of lemon tea three to four times a day when suffering from headache.
3. Ginger is also a wonderful medicine for headache. If you don’t mind munching on a piece of peeled ginger as it is, perhaps with a dollop of honey, nothing like it. Else, add a spoonful of chopped ginger to 1-1/2 cups of hot water, and let it boil for a few minutes. Then, filter, add some honey and drink it. What a tasty way to banish your headache!
4. Betel Leaves work wondersBetel leaves are known for Stash Tea Chamomile He... Buy New $18.83 (as of 10:55 EST - Details) their analgesic as well as cooling properties which can hugely help to get rid of a headache effectively within a few minutes. For this remedy, you need to take two to three fresh betel leaves and with the help of a grinder make a fine paste out of it. Now apply this paste on the forehead and both sides of the head for half an hour. Soon you will get relief from the intense pain. At the same time you can also chew one or two betel leaves to treat headache.
5. If your headache is due to tension, then chamomile tea works wonders for it! Nowadays, dried chamomile flower is available in most organic shops. You just need to add a spoonful of the flowers to a glass of freshly boiled water, allow it to infuse for a few minutes, filter and enjoy with a dash of honey. Else, you can buy pure chamomile tea bags (Korakundah is a good brand). This will come in handy when your head aches during office hours!
Reprinted with permission from PreventDisease.com.
Bigelow I Love Lemon H... Buy New $14.22 (as of 09:15 EST - Details)
OXO Good Grips Citrus ... Buy New $15.95 (as of 08:50 EST - Details)
Sweetgourmet Dried Cry... Buy New $18.24 (as of 01:25 EST - Details)
Tummydrops Ginger (bag... Buy New $10.99 (as of 11:10 EST - Details)