Do you ever wonder if a major emergency situation occurred what would disappear first? Due to the overwhelming nature of prepping for a emergency situation, many do not know where to even begin, let alone think of emergency situations they would need to prepare for. Having a ready supply of food, water and batteries are a good start, but not enough. There are many more items to have on hand besides beans, band aids and bullets.Coleman 32-oz Premium ... Buy New $13.32 (as of 07:10 EST - Details)
Having supplies on hand can put a person way ahead of the game. While many who are unprepared for such a grim reality will be battling the lines at the grocery stores, those that have prepared accordingly could be packing their items up and headed for hills before many have even attempted to.
This author came across some advice from someone who has experienced a long term emergency first hand. This advice could help a person prepare not only for their well being, but also mentally prepare them for getting through the nightmare of a long term emergency.
Advice From a Sarajevo War Survivor:
Experiencing horrible things that can happen in a war – death of parents and friends, hunger and malnutrition, endless freezing cold, fear, sniper attacks.Worthington 303955 20-... Buy New $43.28 (as of 10:05 EST - Details) even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold’s.4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity – it’s the easiest to do without (unless you’re in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy – it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to “warm”, not to cook. It’s cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk.6. Bring some books – escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it’s great to have a lot of survival guides, but you’ll figure most of that out on your own anyway – trust me, you’ll have a lot of time on your hands.7. The feeling that you’re human can fade pretty fast. I can’t tell you how many people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.8. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches
Emergency Items That Disappear First
Camco Standard Portabl...
Best Price: $64.00
Buy New $62.99
(as of 07:20 EST - Details)
- Water filters and purifiers
- Portable toilets
- Seasoned firewood. Wood takes about 6 – 12 months to become dried, for home use.
- Lamp oil, wicks, and lamps (First choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
- Coleman fuel (Impossible to stockpile too much)
- Guns, ammunition, pepper spray, knives, clubs, bats or slingshots
- Hand-can openers, hand egg beaters, whisks
- Honey, syrups, white and brown sugar
- Rice – beans – wheat
- Vegetable oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
- Charcoal, lighter fluid (will become scarce suddenly)
- Water Containers of any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY – note – food grade if for drinking.
- Propane cylinders (Urgent: definite shortages will occur)
- Survival Guide book
- Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (without this item, longer-term lighting isdifficult.)
- Baby supplies: diapers, formula, ointments, aspirin, etc.
- Washboards, mop bucket with wringer (for laundry) Coleman 2 Burner Dual ... Buy New $169.99 (as of 10:15 EST - Details)
- Propane cylinder handle-holder (urgent: Small canister use is dangerouswithout this item)
- Feminine hygiene, hair care, skin products
- Thermal underwear (tops and bottoms)
- Bow saws, axes and hatchets, wedges (also, honing oil)
- Aluminum foil regular and heavy duty (great for cooking and bartering item)
- Gasoline containers (plastic and metal)
- Garbage bags (impossible to have too many)
- Toilet paper, Kleenex, paper towels
- Milk – powdered, condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
- Garden seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
- Clothes pins, line, hangers (A MUST)
- Coleman’s pump repair kit
- Tuna fish (in oil)
- Fire extinguishers (or large box of baking soda in every room)
- First aid kits
- Batteries (all sizes…buy furthest-out for expiration dates)
- Garlic, spices, vinegar, baking supplies
- Dog food 6 Boxes of Penley Stri... Check Amazon for Pricing.
- Matches (“Strike Anywhere” preferred) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
- Writing paper, pads, pencils, solar calculators
- Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in wintertime.)
- Work boots, belts, blue jeans, durable shirts
- Flashlights, light sticks, torches, “No. 76 Dietz” lanterns
- Journals, diaries, scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience;historic times)
- Plastic garbage cans (great for storage, water, transporting – if withwheels)
- Men’s Hygiene: shampoo, toothbrush, paste, mouthwash, floss, nail clippers, etc.
- Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
- Fishing supplies, tools
- Mosquito coils, repellent, sprays, creams
- Duct tape
- Tarps, stakes, twine, nails, rope, spikes
- Laundry detergent (liquid)
- Backpacks, duffel bags
- Garden tools, supplies
- Scissors, fabrics, sewing supplies
- Canned goods: fruits, veggies, soups, stews, etc. Kirkland Signature Dra... Buy New $26.00 (as of 06:20 EST - Details)
- Canning supplies
- Knives, sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
- Bicycles and parts: tires, tubes, pumps, chains, etc.
- Sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, mats
- Carbon monoxide alarm (battery powered)
- Board games, cards, dice
- d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, roach killer
- Mousetraps, ant traps, cockroach magnets
- Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
- Baby wipes, oils, waterless, antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
- Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
- Shaving supplies (razors, creams, talc, after shave)
- Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
- Soy sauce, vinegar, bullions, gravy, soup base
- Reading glasses
- Chocolate, cocoa, tang, punch (water enhancers)
- Woolen clothing, scarves, ear-muffs, mittens
- Boy Scout handbook, and/or Leaders catalog Quilted Northern Ultra... Buy New $27.50 (as of 08:10 EST - Details)
- Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, trail mix, jerky
- Popcorn, peanut butter, nuts
- Socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc. (extras)
- Lumber (all types)
- Wagons, carts (for transport to and from)
- Cots, inflatable mattresses
- Gloves for work, warming, gardening, etc.
- Lantern hangers
- Screen patches, glue,
- Hardware – nails, screws, nuts and bolts
- Wine, liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc.)
- Paraffin wax
- Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
- Chewing gum, candies
- Atomizers (for cooling, bathing)
- Hats, cotton neckerchiefs, seasonal clothing needs
- Livestock – goats, chickens, etc.
Reprinted from Ready Nutrition.Lodge Seasoned Cast Ir... Buy New $60.72 (as of 09:55 EST - Details) Ultrafireu00ae Cree 7W... Buy New $7.89 (as of 07:55 EST - Details) Charlieu2019s Soap u20... Buy New $24.08 (as of 10:50 EST - Details)