Recently by Tess Pennington: 11 Emergency Food Items That Can Last aLifetime
Vaseline is more than the goopy stuff you put on your babys behinds. It has uses ranging from homesteading to medicinal. Some of these unique uses for Vaseline can be found at Joey Greens website, who seems find wacky uses for just about everything.
Vaseline is a mixture of mineral oils, paraffin and micro-crystalline waxes that, when blended together, creates a jelly-like feel. Since it has a melting point just above body temperature, it re-solidifies, thus locking itself in place. Vaseline is a low cost, multipurpose prep that should be in every preppers storage closet.
- Petroleum jelly can be used for tinder, lightly coated on a cotton ball.
- Lure Trout Smearing Vaseline on small pieces of sponges and hooking them onto fish hooks will trick the fish into thinking the sponge coated Vaseline is fish eggs.
- Lubricates tools and protects them from rusting.
- Rub some Vaseline on the wheels of wagons to keep them lubricated and protect them from rust.
- Protects leather and softens it.
- Rub Vaseline around candle holders and the wax will not stick to them.
- Petrolatum is a useful material when incorporated into candle wax formulas. The petrolatum softens the overall blend, allows the candle to incorporate additional fragrance oil, and facilitates adhesion to the sidewall of glass.
- Use it as a lubricant on your sailboats spinnaker pole.