Self-reliance is a vital key to living a healthy, productive life. To be self-reliant one must master a basic set of skills, more or less making them a jack of all trades. Contrary to what you may have learned in school, a jack of all trades is far more equipped to deal with life than a specialized master of only one.
While not totally comprehensive, here is a list of 50 things everyone should know how to do.
1. Build a Fire — Fire produces heat and light, two basic necessities for living. At some point in your life this knowledge may be vital.
2. Operate a Computer — Fundamental computer knowledge is essential these days. Please, help those in need.
- How To Help Someone Use a Computer
- The BBC’s Guide to Using a Computer FINIS Zoomers Gold Fins D Best Price: $19.99 Buy New $27.19 (as of 08:35 EST - Details)
- Mac Basics
- Windows Basics
3. Use Google Effectively — Google knows everything. If you’re having trouble finding something with Google, it’s you that needs help.
- Google Guide
- Google Advanced Search Operators
- Google Web Search Features
- 20 Tips for More Efficient Google Searches
4. Perform CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver — Someday it may be your wife, husband, son or daughter that needs help.
- Learn CPR
- How To Perform Adult CPR (video)
- How CPR Works
- How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver (video)
Clore Automotive Jump-... Best Price: null Buy New $80.08 (as of 02:15 EST - Details)
5. Drive a Manual Transmission Vehicle — There will come a time when you’ll be stuck without this knowledge.
- How To Drive a Stick Shift Instructional Movie (video)
- Learn to Drive a Stick Shift
- Learn to Drive a Car with Manual Transmission
6. Do Basic Cooking — If you can’t cook your own steak and eggs, you probably aren’t going to make it.
7. Tell a Story that Captivates People’s Attention — If you can’t captivate their attention, you should probably just save your breath.
Charlieu2019s Soap - F... Buy New $26.99 (as of 03:30 EST - Details)
8. Win or Avoid a Fistfight — Either way, you win.
- How To Actually Win a Fistfight
- How To Win a Fistfight (video)
- How To Win a Street Fight
- How To Avoid Confrontations Like a Samurai Warrior
9. Deliver Bad News — Somebody has got to do it. Unfortunately, someday that person will be you.
- How To Deliver Bad News in Writing
- How to Deliver Bad News to a Customer
- Good Ways to Deliver Bad News
10. Change a Tire — Because tires have air in them, and things with air in them eventually pop.
11. Handle a Job Interview — I promise, sweating yourself into a nervous panic won’t land you the job.
- The 25 Most Difficult Questions in a Job Interview
- Job Interview Questions and Answers
- How to Handle Your Job Interviews Successfully
- 10 Sticky Job Interview Situations and How to Handle Them
12. Manage Time — Not doing so is called wasting time, which is okay sometimes, but not all the time.
- How To Manage Time and Maximize Effectiveness
- Managing Your Time
- 10 tips for time management in a multitasking world
- Time Management Tips and Exercises
13. Speed Read — Sometimes you just need the basic gist, and you needed it 5 minutes ago.
14. Remember Names — Do you like when someone tries to get your attention by screaming “hey you”?
SE CC4580 Military Len... Buy New $7.64 (as of 10:54 EST - Details)
15. Relocate Living Spaces — Relocating is always a little tougher than you originally imagined.
16. Travel Light — Bring only the necessities. It’s the cheaper, easier, smarter thing to do.
17. Handle the Police — Because jail isn’t fun… and neither is Bubba.
- What to Do If You’re Stopped by the Police
- How To Handle the Cops if They Knock on Your Door
- How To Handle the Police
Replogle Globes Travel... Best Price: $39.95 Buy New $46.50 (as of 12:50 EST - Details)
18. Give Driving Directions — Nobody likes driving around in circles. Get this one right the first time.
- How To Give a Complete Stranger Driving Directions
- How To Give Directions
- Giving Good Driving Directions
19. Perform Basic First Aid — You don’t have to be a doctor, or genius, to properly dress a wound.
20. Swim — 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water. Learning to swim might be a good idea.
21. Parallel Park — Parallel parking is a requirement on most standard driver’s license driving tests, yet so many people have no clue how to do it. How could this be?
- How To Parallel Park a Car (video) iit TYG5695 Paint Brus... Buy New $14.80 (as of 09:25 EST - Details)
- How To Parallel Park (video)
- How To Parallel Park
22. Recognize Personal Alcohol Limits — Otherwise you may wind up like this charming fellow.
23. Select Good Produce — Rotten fruits and vegetables can be an evil tease and an awful surprise.
- Produce Primer: Selecting the Best
- Tips on Choosing Produce and Keeping it Fresh
- Buying Fresh Vegetables
July 28, 2010