Alan Dershowitz has so much chutzpah that he wrote a book called "Chutzpah" about his chutzpah-ness. He is at it again. He is calling for national ID cards for all Americans. Easy for him to say. Who is going to ask Alan Dershowitz for ID? Try being Jim Ostrowski at those roadblocks and checkpoints and lines to the men’s room. Even my readers don’t know what I look like.
Yeah, it takes chutzpah to make the American people pay for the federal government’s screw-up with a real and symbolic move toward a police state. Let me count some of the ways the feds blew this one:
- Making enemies of one billion Muslims worldwide.
- Picking a fight with the Russians in Afghanistan.
- Helping Osama bin Laden earn his first merit badge there.
- Firing missiles at him, missing, and then forgetting about him.
- The FBI, after being tipped off about his agents coming into the U.S., does its usual incompetent job of not catching them before September 11th.
- Allowing illegal aliens to roam around freely.
- Disarming airline pilots.
- Training airline personnel to react passively to a hijacking.
- Having military bases all over the world, but being unable to protect our own people and property.
- Though the FAA was immediately aware of the hijackings, they did nothing useful.
- Oh yeah, somebody eventually called the Air Force, but they could not get their fighters up fast enough. Say what? I thought those guys could fly seven million miles per minute or have I been watching too many movies? Seriously, a plane flies from Albany to New York City and you guys can’t intercept it?
Please excuse my lack of libertarian creativity in blaming Uncle Sam. I am sure there were other federal screw-ups along the way. In any event, Uncle Alan wants us to pay for his beloved federal government’s mistakes. What a card!
There is a better way than an ID card to prove you’re a real American. Buy a shotgun.
October 15, 2001
James Ostrowski is an attorney practicing at 984 Ellicott Square, Buffalo, New York 14203; (716) 854-1440; FAX 853-1303. See his website at http://jimostrowski.com.