Afghan War: From Conquest to Bloodbath
by Rick Rozoff
by Rick Rozoff: 2010:
U.S. to Wage War Throughout the World
the commander in Kabul asked Obama for the extra troops, he knew
the USA would end up with one achievement, and that is more civilian
time an American soldier gets killed, they bomb an entire village.
thing is going to be $5 billion to $10 billion a month and 300 to
500 killed and wounded a month by next summer. Thats what
we probably should expect. And thats light casualties.
29 the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA)
released figures demonstrating that Afghan civilian deaths had risen
by 10 percent in the first ten months of 2009, from 1,838 during
the same period a year earlier to 2,038. The majority of the killings
were attributed to insurgent attacks, including those directed against
U.S., NATO and government targets, but almost 500 civilians were
killed by American and NATO forces.
grew worse last November and December, culminating in several massacres
of Afghan civilians by Western forces at the end of the year.
In early December
a NATO air strike killed thirteen civilians in Laghman province.
One account also documents a deadly raid by American special forces
there. According to witnesses, US troops entered a number
of houses near the provincial capital, Mehtar Lam, in an overnight
operation. The victims included Mohammed Ismail, whose 10-year-old
son, Rafiullah, described what happened: When the soldiers
came to our house, my father asked them, Who are you?
Then they shot him in the head and told us, Be quiet and tell
us where the weapons are.
of the Laghman provincial council presciently commented on the killings
that When the commander in Kabul asked Obama for the extra
troops, he knew the USA would end up with one achievement, and that
is more civilian casualties.
On the same
day that the above-cited UN report was made public an air attack
by U.S.-led warplanes killed four Afghans in the northern province
of Baghlan. According to one report A father and his three
sons were reportedly among the [fatalities]. The raid also wounded
A member of
parliament from a neighboring province, Haji Farid, said after the
aerial onslaught that Every time an American soldier gets
killed, they bomb an entire village.
day a NATO missile strike killed seven Afghan civilians in Helmand
province. According to the New York Times, Neither
NATO forces nor the Helmand governors office gave a definitive
number of dead, but reports from local people said that five to
seven civilians had been killed, including three children.
Later a spokesman for the governor of the province confirmed that
seven civilians had been slain and another wounded.
Far more atrocious
news broke the same day, December 30, when, according to the next
days edition of The Times of London, American-led
troops were accused
of dragging innocent children from their
beds and shooting them during a night raid that left ten people
dead in Kunar province near the Pakistani border.
and -supported President Hamid Karzai dispatched an investigative
team headed by former governor of Helmand province Assadullah Wafa
to the scene of the massacre, dubbed by at least one news source
as an Afghan My Lai.
was later issued on the official website of the Afghan president
that said in part: The delegation concluded that a unit of
international forces descended from a plane Sunday night into Ghazi
Khan village in Narang district of the eastern province of Kunar
and took ten people from three homes, eight of them school students
in grades six, nine and ten, one of them a guest, the rest from
the same family, and shot them dead.
head, Wafa, added that US soldiers flew to Kunar from Kabul,
suggesting that they were part of a special forces unit, and
was quoted as saying I spoke to the local headmaster. Its
impossible they were al-Qaeda. They were children, they were civilians,
they were innocent. I condemn this attack.
he led established that eight of the victims were between the ages
of 11 and 17. The slain students headmaster, Rahman Jan Ehsas,
described the details of Barack Obamas and top U.S. and NATO
military commander Stanley McChrystals new special operations-led
counterinsurgency approach as it was applied to his pupils:
students were in one room. A student and one guest were in another
room, a guest room, and a farmer was asleep with his wife in a third
the foreign troops entered the guest room and shot two of them.
Then they entered another room and handcuffed the seven students.
Then they killed them. Abdul Khaliq [the farmer] heard shooting
and came outside. When they saw him they shot him as well. He was
outside. Thats why his wife wasnt killed.
International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) attempted to both
widen and evade responsibility for the murders by claiming the
raid was a joint operation and it was still under investigation,
a ploy quickly exposed when Afghan Defence Ministry spokesman
Zaher Azimy said Afghan troops had not taken part.
particularly university students and their instructors, took to
the streets in the provinces of Kabul and Nangarhar denouncing the
rapidly escalating and by now routine slaughter of civilians, including
children, by U.S. and NATO troops and warplanes. Their chants included
Obama! Obama! Take your soldiers out of Afghanistan!
and Stop killing us!
and students at Kabul University passed a resolution demanding that
NATO troops leave Afghanistan.
the first of Decembers massacres, a Middle Eastern newspaper
wrote, The raid in the eastern province of Laghman this month
followed a pattern that has become sadly familiar in Afghanistan
over recent years. As is often the case, international forces insisted
militants were killed, but local officials and villagers claimed
the dead were civilians.
With the increase
of U.S. and other NATO nations and partners troops to
over 150,000 in the near future and the announced shift from counterterrorism
to counterinsurgency operations, the killing of Afghan civilians
will grow exponentially.
On the other
side of the border, Washingtons and NATOs proclaimed
AfPak war is no less murderous.
2 Dawn News, Pakistans first 24-hour English news channel,
reported on its website that 44 CIA-directed Predator drone missile
attacks last year had killed 708 people, only five of them alleged
al-Qaeda and Taliban targets. According to the statistics
compiled by Pakistani authorities, the Afghanistan-based US drones
killed 708 people in 44 predator attacks targeting the tribal areas
between January 1 and December 31, 2009.
Al Qaeda and Taliban terrorist killed by US drones, 140 innocent
Pakistanis also had to die. Over 90 per cent of those killed in
the deadly missile strikes were civilians, claim authorities
average, 58 civilians were killed in these attacks every month,
12 persons every week and almost two people every day.
There has been
no diminution of such attacks. In the waning days of 2009 they were
intensified. On December 27 At least 13 people were killed
in a suspected United States drone attack in North Waziristan.
Following the strike, a U.S. B-52 jet plane, along with other
spy planes, continued their flights over the tribal areas
day another U.S. missile attack in North Waziristan killed three
and wounded two people. A statement from the [Pakistani] military
Saturday said that a targeted airstrike at a compound in Orakzai
had killed some civilians along with eight suspected militants.
The U.S. launched
deadly drone missile attacks in Pakistans North Waziristan
on both ends of the New Year. On December 31 Five people were
killed and at least two more injured and on January 1 A
US pilotless aircraft fired a missile into Pakistans North
Waziristan tribal district and the attack destroyed
[a] car and killed three people.
the rest of the article
January 8, 2010
Rozoff [send him mail] runs
the Stop NATO Yahoo
group. Visit his
© 2010 Rick Rozoff,