It is an old classic and we all know the words: “Summertime and the livin’ is easy. Fish are jumpin’, and the cotton is high.”
Without a doubt, summer is the time that most of us break out of our cocoons and embark upon all manner of projects, both large and small. I know that I do and, no surprise, most of my projects are preparedness related. That being said, I have a lifetime of project on my to do list and the poor Survival Husband; his list is long enough for two lifetimes.
Anyway, to use the cliché “it takes a village”, I asked one of my blogging colleagues, Todd Walker, the editor of Survival Sherpa, whether I could share his list of DIY projects with Backdoor Survival readers. Todd, being the kind of guy he is, responded with “never a problem sharing any of my stuff.”
Now let me tell you about Todd. He is a master MacGyver type that can figure out how to do anything! I know that because I visit his site frequently and he has the best DIY projects around. Today, with that introduction, I share with you the Survival Sherpa list of 33 Awesome DIY Projects for Preppers.
33 Awesome DIY Projects for Preppers
DIY skills may one day turn a tinkering hobby into life-saving knowledge. Turning book knowledge into useful stuff takes initiative.
You have to start somewhere.
Below you’ll find a slew (33 counts as a slew, right?) of ideas to help you on your journey to self-reliance and preparedness. Most will take only a few minutes and minimal skills. Others require hours and sweat equity. Doers of the Stuff don’t mind. It’s just what we do.
Let’s get started Doing the Stuff:
- Cigar Fishing Kit
- Drinking Straw Sewing Kit
- The 5 Minute Tin Olive Oil Lamp
- Fletching Arrows Duct Tape
- A DIY Fire Bow On Training Wheels
- Get Your Gut In Shape: Down and Dirty Sauerkraut
- Pemmican: Bread of the Wilderness
- Camouflage Your Rifle DIY Style
- Arm Pit Probiotics and DiY Deodorant
- Dirt Road Girl Compost Tumbler
- Rendering Tallow for Cooking and 12 Other Uses
- Camouflaging DiY Rain Barrels for Front Yard Gardens
- Go Herbal: Putting Together Your Go-To Herbal Medicine Kit
- Ollas: Ancient Low Tech and Low Cost Sub-Surface Irrigation System
- DiY Fire Starter in a Drinking Straw
- Todd’s Tomato Ladders: No More Lame Cages
- Do It Yourself Survival – PART 1 – Low Cost DIY Projects for Preppers
- Clever Storage Idea For Old DVD Containers
- Making a “Honey-Do” Bench from a Cedar Tree with Pioneer Tools
- Healthy Household: Homemade Medical Kits Mossy Oak Hunting Acce... Best Price: null Buy New $13.99 (as of 01:25 EST - Details)
- A DiY Farmhouse Table, DRG’s Grocery Bag, and Chair Planter
- Running on Empty: Siphoning Gas without Sucking
- A DiY Survival Sling Shot with Big Game Capabilities
- Deconstructing My Adjustable Paracord Rifle Sling…Just for You
- Physical Preparedness: Practical Performance for Real-World Survival (Doing the stuff in natures gym)
- Vertical Spine Shelves for Small Spaces
- DiY Pallet Garden Fence and 100 Year Old Windows
- The Dirt on Moving Raised Beds to Full Sun
- Coffee Can Hobo Stove
- How to Build a Rocket Stove to Impress the Boys
- Lighten Your BOB: Pack The Alpha Tent
- DIY Preparedness: Ed’s Red Bore Cleaner Recipe
- Arming Yourself for the Zombie Apocalypse: How to Build the Ultimate Survival Shotgun
About Todd and Survival Sherpa
Todd’s vision is simple:
Helping each other on the climb to self-reliance and preparedness…the Survival Sherpa way…One step at a time.
He is the husband to the lovely Dirt Road Girl, proud father and grandfather, a government school teacher, a lover of the primal lifestyle, and blogger who is passionate about living a self-reliant lifestyle full of liberty.
He is also founder of the Doing the Stuff Network where you will find even more projects to keep your weekends busy and your prepping bucket full!