When disaster is “about” to strike, you may have a couple of days, hours or minutes to prepare. When the disaster is like that of Hurricane Sandy, people had a few days to “prepare” for it. Although we teach to be prepared far before a few days ahead of time, we had some great suggestions from our readers on our Facebook page of things you could do “relatively” last minute.
Follow our FREE checklists to be prepared long before the storm hits next time. Whether that storm be a natural disaster, economic crisis, or just a personal disaster.
- Fill your gas tank.
- Have a 72 hour kit for every person in your family.
- You should have cash in your 72 hour kits because if electricity is out bank ATM’s won’t work.
- Turn your fridge and freezer to a colder setting & if you lose power keep the doors closed as much as possible.
- If you have extra space in your freezer, take containers or zip-loc bags full of water and fill in the extra space.
- Charge all your electronic devices and keep them charged just in case you lose power.
- Maxell 723443 Alkaline... Buy New $10.82 (as of 11:55 EDT - Details) Keep a list of emergency numbers handy, along with family members’ phone numbers. Write them down if you only have them stored in your phone.
- Have an emergency escape plan from your home and make sure all family members know it and know where to meet.
- Clean out your gutters before the storm comes and make sure that the storm drains on your street are clear from all the fall foliage.
- Check your sump pumps.
- Be ready to help your neighbors.
- Get batteries.
- Get a radio so you know what’s going on.
- Board up your windows. Stay away from windows.
- Have everyone one sleep in the same room so you can keep tabs on them.
- Make a few meals and snacks that will last without power.
- Make sure to have a non-electric can opener.
- Have lots of non-perishables on hand.
- Have enough food and litter for your pets.
- Have an emergency binder with all important paperwork ready to go.
- Have your prescriptions filled.
- If you have a gas grill, make sure you have a full tank of propane.
- Do your laundry now, so you have clothes that are dry and clean.
- Make sure you have a car charger for your cell phone.
- If you have a fireplace that you can use to cook in, have a supply of wood.
- Check with your elderly and family to make sure they are prepared or invite them over.
WaterBOB Bathtub Emerg... Buy New $26.00 (as of 08:50 EDT - Details)
Mr. Heater MH18B, Port... Best Price: $109.85 Buy New $149.99 (as of 09:30 EDT - Details)