When someone mentions the word “Lemon”, I immediately think “fresh, clean and pure”. There is simply something about lemons that evokes an overall feeling of wellness and goodness. This might come from my memories of being given a lemon to hold and to smell when I suffered the occasional childhood illness.
Using lemons for health and home is nothing new, since back in ancient times, lemons were used to help heal a variety of ailments. It has been suggested that the Romans used lemons and lemon rinds to fight off disease as well as to ward off insects, uplift moods and even freshen clothes.
In modern times we have lemon essential oil which is a concentration of oils that have been cold pressed from the rind of fresh lemons. Pure lemon essential oil is pale yellow in color and has the aroma of freshly peeled fruit. It’s fresh, clean scent activates the body and the mind and serves as a powerful anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and antiseptic.
Today I list some of the terrific if not awesome uses for lemon essential oil, loosely organized by category. Some of these you may know about but others might be new. You might find a surprise or two here.
33 Awesome Uses of Lemon Essential Oil for Home and Health
Health & Healing
1. Soothe Sore Throat: Add 2-3 drops of lemon oil to hot tea, or drink it with warm water and honey to help soothe a sore throat.
2. Coughs, Colds & General Congestion: Rub a few drops of lemon oil on your chest and/or throat when you feel congested. Repeat several times daily. (You can also diffuse lemon oil into the air for help with respiratory problems.
3. Stop a Runny Nose: Use a little carrier oil and a drop of lemon oil in the palm of your hand. Get your fingertip wet and swipe each side of your nose. This really works!
4. Treat Allergies & Hay Fever: Apply a drop of lemon oil behind the ear or under the nose 2-3 times a day to help fight seasonal allergies. Alternately apply to the bottoms of your feet.
5. Energy Booster: Add a couple of drops of both lemon and peppermint essential oils to water for an instant boost in energy.
6. Sanitize Your Toothbrush: Put a drop of lemon oil on your toothbrush then swish it around in a bit of water to immediately clean and sanitize it.
7. Bad Breath: Place 4 drops of lemon oil in 4 ounces of warm water and gargle to get rid of bad breath.
8. Treat Acne: Apply three drops of lemon essential oil to a cotton ball and swipe onto the affected area, repeating up to three times a day.
9. Fight Fatigue: Moisten a cloth with five drops of lemon essential oil and hold directly underneath your nose. Breathe in the scent for at least two minutes.
10. Stress Relief: Add ten to fifteen drops of essential lemon oil to your bath water and soak for at least fifteen minutes.
11. Treat Minor Wounds: Essential lemon oil is a natural antiseptic. Place five drops of lemon essential oil in a bowl of three ounces of water. Wipe the wound with a sterilized cloth or pad that has been dipped into the mixture. Continue this process until the wound appears clean.
12. Remove Callouses, Corns and Warts: Apply a drop of Lemon undiluted, twice a day until they go away.
13. Heal Canker Sores: Add a drop of Lemon to a shot glass of water and swish around the mouth for several minutes to alleviate canker sores.
14. Relieve Cold Sores & Fever Blisters: Dab a drop of lemon oil on the cold sore 2 to 3 times daily. If the lemon oil stings, dilute first with a bit of coconut oil or olive oil.
15. Control Psoriasis: Using a roller ball, apply lemon oil to the affected area 2 to 3 times a day. For an extra boost, top with DIY Miracle Healing Salve, rubbing it in lightly.
16. Clear Up Nail Fungus: Apply a few drops of lemon oil to the affected nail several times a day. Continue until the nail fungus clears up. Note: This may take a few months.
17. Skin Brightener: Brighten a dull complexion by adding a drop of lemon oil to your daily moisturizer. Be sure to follow-up with a sunscreen since lemon oil (and all citrus oils) increase photosensitivity.
18. Improve Mental Clarity: Diffuse lemon in your work or study space to improve mental accuracy and concentration.