‘Selfie’ may have been named Oxford Dictionary’s word of 2013, but its popularity just earned it another accolade – being voted the most annoying and overused term of the past 12 months.
It topped the list of words Lake Superior State University want to be banished in 2014.
Other words that made the cut include ‘twerk’, ‘hashtag’, ‘Twittersphere’ and ‘Obamacare.’
The annual list of annoying words is based on nominations made on the official Banished Words Facebook page.
Each nomination was submitted with a brief explanation of why the word is annoying or should be banned.
According to his nomination for the word ‘selfie’, Facebook fan Bruce, from Ontario wrote: ‘Named ‘Word of the Year’ by Oxford Dictionary? Give me a break! Ugh, get rid of it.’
While David Lake from Wisconsin wrote: ‘It’s a lame word. It’s all about me, me, me. Put the smartphone away. Nobody cares about you.’
The term was made popular in 2013 when celebrities, in particular, began posting ‘selfies’ on Twitter and Instagram.
Even U.S. President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron posed for a selfie with Denmark’s Prime Minister Helle Thorning Schmidt at Nelson Mandela’s memorial earlier this month.
The word ‘twerk’ became popular following Miley Cyrus’ performance with Robin Thicke at the MTV Video Music Awards in August.
2014 BANISHED WORDS LIST
1. Selfie - taking a photo of yourself
2.Twerk/twerking - a dance move made famous by Miley Cyrus
3. Hashtag - used for trending topics on Facebook and Twitter
4. Twittersphere - another word for Twitter
5. Mr. Mom - the name of the 1983 film starring Michael Keaton
6. T-Bone - the layout of a car accident
7. ‘…on steroids’ - to describe something fast or strong
8. ‘Ageddon and ‘Pocalypse - shortened versions of Armageddon and Apocalypse
9. Intellectually/Morally Bankrupt - words used by politicians
10. Obamacare - the U.S. health reform
11. Adversity - to describe struggling sports teams
12. Fan base - another word for fans