10 Shocking Facts about Mercury Amalgam

Email Print
FacebookTwitterShare

Mercury is toxic to humans and dental amalgam fillings, which uses a 50% mercury base combined with other metals, is one of the most common types of exposure.  Research proving the extensive damage mercury can cause to human tissue and brain function is why I advocate discontinuing their use and, if you have them, their removal. The following 10 facts expose the dangers of mercury amalgam and, after reading these, you will probably want to confirm what type of filling material your dentist uses – and possibly make a change!

1. Mercury Fillings Leak

Exposure to mercury from fillings results from erosion of the filling, or from evaporation from the surface of the filling.  In one study, using a variety of X-ray imaging technologies, scientists examined the movement of mercury through the tooth. They found mercury in the tooth several millimeters away from the site of the filling.  They also found higher concentrations of mercury in the area of the tooth, which connects with the gum, suggesting exposure to the blood stream.  It was also found in the tartar on the teeth. [1]Conclusion? This stuff does not stay put!

2. Removing Amalgam Fillings Requires Caution!

At least, that’s the word based on a recent review of the filling removal process.  The review noted the importance of proper patient preparation before and after the procedure to minimize exposure and ensure complete removal. [2] The goal is to prevent absorption of mercury during the process.  It really begs the question why some dentist’s still use mercury amalgam?

3. Mercury is Immediately Toxic!

Mercury can enter the body through ingestion, the blood stream, and through inhalation.  Once in the body, it is quickly absorbed and distributed to the major organs.  The brain and the kidney suffer the greatest amount of damage. [3] And the damage doesn’t take a long time to develop.

A study of children 8-18 observed kidney damage in children with mercury amalgam exposure.  They found chemical indicators of kidney damage in the urine of children with the dental amalgam. [4]

4. Mercury May Be Linked to Autism

The horrible effect that mercury has on the brain has been known for centuries and mercury exposure during key developmental stages has been linked to autism spectrum disorders.  One study found that women with six or more amalgam fillings were 3x more likely to have children with severe autism compared to those with five or less fillings. [5]

5. Mercury Affects Hormone Levels

The damaging effects of mercury aren’t limited to the kidneys and brain; it also affects the adrenal system. Once absorbed into the blood stream, five potential consequences have been observed: [6]

  • It accumulates in the organs that regulate hormone function.
  • It damages the tissue of these organs.
  • Hormone concentrations change.
  • Mercury interacts specifically interacts with sex hormones.
  • Enzyme production is affected.

Those are not the only problems; testosterone and mercury combine to create a toxic neurochemical.  Estrogen appears to reduce the effect of mercury and offers some degree of protective effect.  Researchers have suggested this difference may explain the difference in the way autism affects boys and girls. [7]

Read the rest of the article

Email Print
FacebookTwitterShare