Ten of the most iconic illustrated children’s books of the 20th century will be featured in a new exhibition opening tomorrow at the British Library in London.
The free show, called Picture This: Children’s Illustrated Classics, has been curated by Dr Matthew Eve and runs from October 4 to January 26, 2014, in the Folio Society Gallery.
The exhibition focuses on 10 classics:
• The Railway Children by E Nesbit (1905)
• Peter Pan and Wendy by JM Barrie (1911)
• The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (1937)
• The Borrowers by Mary Norton (1952)
• Paddington Bear by Michael Bond (1958)
• The Iron Man by Ted Hughes (1968)
The exhibition features attractive and rare first editions with original artwork by illustrators such as Quentin Blake, Michael Foreman, Peggy Fortnum and Lauren Child.