Known as a top alkaline food, lemons are prized for their flavorful place in everything from salads to spirits, baked goods to shrimp. Needless to say, they are also known for their herbal healing applications. What makes lemons so distinctively delicious is also what makes them very useful in another area—your beauty regimen. Yes, lemons have numerous uses in the powder room in addition to the kitchen. Keeping several on hand will ensure you have enough for your next cocktail, home remedy, and your next at-home spa day.
Using Lemons as a Healthful Beauty Tool
Here are 10 ways to use lemons for a healthier appearance.
- 1. Hair highlights - Lemons are the simplest and safest way to add highlights to your hair. Simply dilute with a little water, apply, and sit in the sun until the juice has dried. You can repeat this for several days in a row until you get the desired effect.
- 2. Teeth Whitener – Lemons also rest among the many natural teeth whitening home remedies due to the acids within the fruit. Combine fresh lemon juice with baking soda to make a paste. Apply with a cotton swab and leave on your teeth for only one minute. Remove thoroughly with a toothbrush. (Don’t do this too often as the acid can damage your tooth enamel.)
- 3. Oily Skin Solution - If you struggle with shiny, oily skin, lemon juice can help. Using a cotton ball, simply swipe the lemon juice across your face. It acts as a toner and also kills bacteria associated with acne breakouts.
- 4. Exfoliation - If you have rough skin, lemon juice can help remove the dead skin by exfoliating. You can use it on elbows, ankles, or even leave it on chapped lips overnight to wake up to a smoother, healthier looking pucker.
- 5. Strengthen fingernails - Mix some lemon juice with olive oil and soak your dry, brittle nails. Not only will this solution strengthen them, it could help to whiten yellow fingernails.