Up-Close Look at the Bloodied, Bullet-Riddled Boat Where Bombing Suspect Hid as It Is Revealed He Was Shot in the Neck, Head, Legs, and Hands

Email Print

The boat where Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was discovered has likely seen its last sail for some time, according to a newly released photo of the vessel that shows a bloodied, bullet-ridden port side.

The damage has undoubtedly devastated the boat’s owner, 66-year-old David Henneberry, whose adoration for the rare 21-foot Seahawk boat is widely known among family and friends.

Tsarnaev, who was pulled from the boat after a two-hour standoff with police, was shot in his head, neck, legs and hands, according to federal authorities.

Henneberry has been deemed a hero by local and national authorities after he inadvertently discovered Tsarnaev Friday evening. The Massachusetts governor’s order for residents to stay inside during a manhunt for the suspect had just been lifted and Henneberry stepped outside for a smoke.

Damage: Revere Police Chief Joseph Cafarelli, clears the boat moments after the subject was placed into custody

As he walked around the backyard of his Watertown, Mass., home with his dog, he noticed something awry: Part of the tarp covering his beloved boat was flapping in the wind.

Stepping closer, he noticed that a strap to the tarp had been cut.

Henneberry used a stepladder to peer inside the boat – and that’s when he spotted a pool of blood.

Without uttering a word, Henneberry ran back inside his house and called police.

The authorities arrived within minutes and Henneberry’s backyard then became the center of the massive manhunt for the surviving bombing suspect.

During the standoff, Henneberry and his wife fled to the home of his neighbor, George Pizzuto, while officers fired on his beloved boat.

Several hours later, following a brief exchange of fire and some negotiating, Tsarnaev, 19, was taken into custody.

It is unknown whether Tsarnaev sustained all of his injuries Friday night or during the running gun battle with police on Friday morning.

Read the rest of the article

Email Print