Recently by Thomas R. Eddlem: Fed on the Ropes? Bernanke to Hold PressConferences
Congressman Ron Paul delivered a five-minute speech on the floor of the House of Representatives May 25, a short speech that may sound to the uninformed like one wild statement after another. In his speech, Dr. Paul (he's an obstetrician) made a number of charges that the executive branch of government has established a virtual dictatorship with the willing assistance of Congress and many Americans who fear for their "security." But Congressman Paul is complaining about the erosion of constitutional protections that have already happened. Following is his speech verbatim, along with links documenting his allegations. All words are by Congressman Paul; hyperlinks were added by The New American's Thomas R. Eddlem.
The Last Nail
The last nail is being driven into the coffin of the American Republic. Yet, Congress remains in total denial as our liberties are rapidly fading before our eyes. The process is propelled by unwarranted fear and ignorance as to the true meaning of liberty. It is driven by economic myths, fallacies and irrational good intentions. The rule of law is constantly rejected and authoritarian answers are offered as panaceas for all our problems. Runaway welfarism is used to benefit the rich at the expense of the middle class. Who would have ever thought that the current generation and Congress would stand idly by and watch such a rapid disintegration of the American Republic? Characteristic of this epic event is the casual acceptance by the people and political leaders of the unitary presidency, which is equivalent to granting dictatorial powers to the President. Our Presidents can now, on their own:
- Order assassinations, including American citizens;
- Operate secret military tribunals;
- Engage in torture;
- Enforce indefinite imprisonment without due process;
- Order searches and seizures without proper warrants, gutting the Fourth Amendment;
- Ignore the 60-day rule for reporting to the Congress the nature of any military operations as required by the War Power Resolution;
- Continue the Patriot Act abuses without oversight;
- Wage war at will;
- Treat all Americans as suspected terrorists at airports with TSA groping and nude x-raying.